Sunday 9 December 2007

like a circle in a spiral

I'm chatting with a friend on MSN and I suddenly realise that I haven't been disturbed for over 30 minutes.

I poke my head out of the study door. The lights to the bathroom and Mum's bedroom are on. I knock on the bedroom door and go in. Mum is in bed, undressed and asleep. I can't leave her because then she'll be even more wakeful than usual during the night. I wake her and ask her to get dressed again. She is shocked to hear that it's not time to sleep, that she hasn't even had her dinner yet.

Over the next 10 minutes or so I can hear her making disapproving noises about having to dress. Eventually I call out to her to ask what's wrong.

"I can't get this skirt undone."
"Mum, I don't want you to get it undone. Please get dressed!"

She comes into the study, eventually, in a light blouse which will be too cold this evening. I ask her to put her jumper back on. I have to stand over her to get her to select it from the other clothing in her room. Eventually she picks the correct item. I leave her to put it on. The disapproving noises come back. I ask Mum what's wrong.

"Well, it's this jumper. It's too thick for me to sleep in."

No comments: